Thursday 12 January 2012

Digital Surrealism- Help The Environment!



For my digital surrealism project I decided to do a problem that is affecting us more and more every day. The environment. The environment is very important to us, and this is what gave me this idea.

            My idea for the digital surrealism project was to raise awareness for the environment, specifically trees. My topic was environmental issues about trees. How we ‘play’ with trees. All we really do is just cut them down, and not even care that without trees we will die too. It shows that trees can have feelings, and the hands show how we are playing with them. Taking them from their natural habitats for having good furniture.  Do we not care about the environment anymore? This is also how we shouldn’t play with them; they belong in their natural habitats, not in our homes.

My picture symbolizes the message because looking at it you can see normal everyday trees. Then you see that they are in a stage. So you can already tell that there is that feeling that the trees aren’t treated properly. Then you see the hands and the sky above it. From these two images you can already tell that the hands are way more superior to the trees. Also the hands represent us humans. The sky is showing that we are higher than the trees; just like saying we have more power. But the fact is that trees are the real ones that are helping us live. They are the ones that are providing us with oxygen, and life. So we shouldn’t think too much of ourselves because the trees are the real ones with the power.

First I will talk about my design process. The first thing I had done to get this project started was to make a stage. So I made the stage and then used the tripod and lights to take the picture. For the trees I had gone and taken actual pictures of trees. Then for the sky I had found it on the internet, and cropped it so it would be in the background. For the faces inside of the trees, and the hands I had used the cove and green screen to take the pictures. This would help me take out the background easily. So to get started on Photoshop I had made a few layers. Then taken each picture cropped it, and then moved it into the file. I had first put the stage and sky. For both the stage and sky I had used the transform tool, to pick out the perfect sizes to use. Then I had added the hands which were fairly easy to do. I had just took the color range tool selected all the green and then took it out. All the excess green I just erased, or used the lasso tool to get rid of. Especially for the strings it was very helpful to just use the lasso tool. Since it would make perfectly straight lines, and was easy to control. Then for the face had turned down the opacity so it would blend better into the background. Also for the background trees I had turned down the opacity took away all the excess of the picture. Then put the stage layer on top of it, so the rest could not be seen. The just for the end I had just blended everything together to make it seem more realistic.  So overall the most helpful tools for me were the lasso tool, transform tool, eraser tool, blur tool, color range tool, and the brightness and contrast tool.

My project has turned out pretty good. I think it had turned out pretty good, since I did not have so much time to do it, also because I had worked really hard on this so it did turn out good. I feel really satisfied with the way the hands did turn out. Since I had used a green screen it took a long time to take the entire green screen out. Where I became really frustrated was the trees, the ones that the puppeteer plays with. It was really hard to get the background out of it. But I had somewhat managed to do it. I think next time I would like to learn how to really blend things together. The thing I enjoyed doing for this project was making the stage and taking all the pictures for it. The part I found frustrating was using Photoshop. But this was a very good learning experience, and it was pretty fun to do and I had enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment